Sexual harassment at work: A third of people have experienced it, but only half have reported it
- 29% of workers have experienced sexually inappropriate behaviour at work.
- 31% of women have experienced sexually inappropriate behaviour at work, compared to 26% of men.
- 69% of the time, the sexually inappropriate behaviour came from someone more senior.
- 48% of people did not report the sexually inappropriate behaviour at work.
- 34% of employees felt their employer was complicit and happy to “look the other way” when it came to sexually inappropriate behaviour.
- 23% of employees said their workplace was misogynistic.
These statistics are from a new poll by The Barrister Group, and they are hugely disappointing. Sexual harassment is never okay, and it is important to remember that you have the right to feel safe and respected at work.
If you have experienced sexual harassment at work, there are a few things you can do:
- Talk to a trusted colleague or friend.
- Report the incident to your manager or HR department.
- Keep a record of what happened, including dates, times, and witnesses.
- If you feel comfortable, you can also contact a lawyer or Citizens Advice.
Employers also have a responsibility to create a safe and respectful workplace for their employees. They should have policies in place that make clear what constitutes sexually inappropriate behaviour and how to report it. Employers should also investigate any reports of sexual harassment promptly and fairly.
If you are an employer, you can help to create a safe and respectful workplace by:
- Having clear policies in place on sexual harassment.
- Training your employees on what constitutes sexual harassment and how to report it.
- Investigating any reports of sexual harassment promptly and fairly.
- Creating a culture of openness and transparency, where employees feel empowered to report inappropriate behaviour and are confident that when they do they will be supported and the necessary action will be taken.
Sexual harassment is a serious problem, but it is one that can be addressed. By working together, we can create safer and more respectful workplaces for everyone.
Supportis can help employers with all aspects of HR, including creating policies to keep your business safe and compliant. We have a team of experienced HR professionals who can provide advice and support to employers.
To find out more about Supportis, call today on 0161 603 2156 and speak to one of our friendly team about how we can help your business flourish.